The Department for the Economy today announced a new Assured Skills Welding Academy in association with South West College (SWC), with 12 training places.
Funded by the Department, successful applicants to the Academy will receive six weeks intensive industry standard welding training delivered by SWC at their dedicated training facility in Cookstown. They will study ETCAL Level 2 Performing Engineering Operations and Certified Abrasive Wheels Training to provide them with the skills to take up potential welding roles with companies in Mid Ulster and the surrounding area.
Welcoming the Academy, Graeme Wilkinson, Director of Skills at the Department for the Economy, said:
“People with welding skills are in high demand in our local engineering and manufacturing sector as demonstrated by the number of local companies supporting this Academy. I am delighted to welcome this Assured Skills Welding Academy run by SWC which will equip participants with the skills they need, through an industry-recognised qualification, and position them very strongly to kick-start a new career in a much sought after occupation.
“With no previous experience in welding required and a training allowance of £160 per week this is a great opportunity and I would urge anyone who is interested to apply.”
Following completion of the training, participants will be guaranteed an interview to take up a welding position at one of the supporting companies listed below. By applying for a place on this pre-employment training programme, applicants must be committed to pursuing a job opportunity with one of the employers supporting this Academy.
The supporting companies are:
- Nugent Engineering
- Specdrum Ltd
- Four Dee NI
- RM Group
- Truck and Trailer Works
- Turco Engineering
Ciaran McManus, South West College Assistant Chief Executive, said:
“Engineering is a major sector of employment in the south west region. The College is committed to working in partnership with local employers to help them attract, develop and nurture new talent. This pre-employment Assured Skills Academy is an example of this commitment and is a great opportunity for local people to gain new skills and a potential offer of employment.”
The Academy will be delivered from Monday 17 July to Friday 25 August 2023. To apply visit the Assured Skills Academies page on the nidirect website
The online application form must be completed and submitted by 12.00 noon on Friday 9 June 2023.
For further information please email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
1. Assured Skills is a pre-employment training programme run by the Department for the Economy. More information is available on the Assured Skills Programme page on the Department’s website.
2. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at: email@example.com
3. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @DeptEconomyNI
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.