Minister for the Economy, Diane Dodds, today announced that Belfast based AquaQ Analytics is creating 123 new jobs as part of a £8.3million investment.
AquaQ Analytics specialises in high speed, time sensitive database solutions. It provides Big Data expertise to blue-chip clients across multiple industries, including specialist data management, data analytics and data mining services.
Making the announcement, the Minister said:
"This significant reinvestment by AquaQ Analytics is welcome news as we work to rebuild the economy post-pandemic. The potential of our digital sector was at the core of my recently published medium term economic recovery plan. 'Rebuilding a Stronger Economy' sets out a framework to deliver higher paying jobs, a highly skilled workforce and a more regionally balanced economy. It is through projects like AquaQ Analytics that we can being to realise this ambition.
"Big Data is a rapidly growing area of Northern Ireland’s tech sector. It is important to utilise and optimise data to obtain valuable business information that will help to revive industry sectors like hospitality and tourism following COVID-19.
"The company’s expansion with 123 new jobs will double its workforce, and help it to strengthen its position in export markets and diversify into new sectors. Once all are in place, the jobs will contribute over £3.2million of annual salaries to the Northern Ireland economy."
Recruitment is underway with 35 of the jobs in place. Roles still to be recruited include software engineers, Kdb+/q developers as well as Data and Business Analysts. These are opportunities for graduates and experienced hires with all employees currently working remotely from home.
Jonny Press, Chief Technology Officer at AquaQ Analytics, said:
“We are delighted to be expanding our Belfast team and have invested in new premises to support this growth, which we hope to move into when the time is right.
“The support we have received from Invest NI to create the new jobs, along with its continued advice and guidance, has played an integral part in our growth plans. These jobs will enable us to broaden the skillset across our team, increase the global reach of our business and meet the needs of our growing client base.
“The area of Big Data technology is something that we recognise will be of great importance to the wider tech sector, particularly as companies look at new ways to innovate due to COVID-19. As part of this, we are excited to be involved in the Girona collaborative growth programme supported by Invest NI, and bring our Big Data expertise to NI’s first smart micro-grid energy project.”
Invest NI has worked with AquaQ Analytics over many years, offering expert advice and support to grow its business and helping it to secure new export wins. It is now offering the company £861,000 of support towards the creation of the new jobs.
Brian Dolaghan, Executive Director of Business and Sector Development at Invest NI, welcomed the company’s investment:
"We have a long standing relationship with AquaQ Analytics and are pleased to continue supporting the company as it strengthens its presence in Northern Ireland.
"Since establishing in Northern Ireland back in 2011, we worked with the company to support its growth. Our support has helped them create new jobs, invest in skills development and export markets which has resulted in AquaQ Analytics winning numerous contracts in global markets. It is this exact partnership approach which is catapulting the company forward and I look forward to seeing where this expansion takes it in the future."
Notes to editors:
- In recognition of AquaQ Analytics’ commitment to innovation it has been awarded a Silver Level Innovator Certificate from Innovate NI. Innovate NI is a Department for the Economy programme, helping local businesses innovate successfully. It is delivered by Invest Northern Ireland, local councils and further education colleges. For further information visit the Innovate NI website.
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Business Register and Employment Survey 2021 30 June 2022
- Lyons announces £9m project for local aerospace sector 28 June 2022
- Lyons welcomes job opportunities on PwC Professional Services Assured Skills Academy 28 June 2022
- Investment in mobile infrastructure and technology is crucial – Lyons 23 June 2022