Economy Minister Gordon Lyons has commended Thales Belfast on its continuing innovation and resilience throughout the pandemic.
The Minister visited the Thales facility at Castlereagh where he received an update on the company’s Belfast and wider UK operations and viewed the business’s Covid safe working practices.
Speaking after the visit, the Minister said:
“Thales has a 60-year heritage in Northern Ireland in leading-edge, high technology engineering, employing around 500 people and sustaining a significant wider local supply chain.
“The company has shown great resilience through what has been a very challenging period, continuing to innovate and push the local engineering sector forward, whilst putting in place safe working practices for company staff.
“The company’s position as a global leader was underlined by its recent success in securing a significant contract from the Ministry of Defence and its impressive presence at the Defence and Security Equipment International Exhibition in London earlier this month.
“I found my visit to be engaging and enlightening, and I wish the company the very best for the future.”
Philip McBride, Managing Director of Thales Belfast, said:
“We were delighted to host Minister Lyons at our facility in Castlereagh, where we showed him our leading edge technology, developed by Thales Belfast and underpinned by our supply chain in Northern Ireland.
“Our ongoing success allows us to continue to provide highly skilled jobs in Northern Ireland and supports the development of the next generation of engineering excellence, and we are incredibly grateful for the continued support of the Northern Ireland Executive and Invest Northern Ireland in that endeavour.”
Notes to editors:
- More information on Thales Belfast is available at: Thales Group website
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- County Antrim directors agree to disqualification 15 October 2021
- Labour market statistics 12 October 2021
- Lyons announces Assured Skills Academy in welding at South West College 11 October 2021
- Telephone service for High Street Scheme applications opens Monday 09 October 2021