Economy Minister Gordon Lyons today launched a further Assured Skills Collaborative Welding Academy at South West College (SWC).
The College is offering an opportunity for 12 to receive industry standard welding training that will provide them with the skills they need to secure a role with companies in the local area.
Commenting on the Academy, Economy Minister Gordon Lyons said:
“People with welding skills are in high demand in our local engineering and manufacturing sector as demonstrated by the number of local companies supporting these Academies. This Assured Skills Welding Academy run by SWC will equip participants with the skills they need, through an industry-recognised qualification, and position them very strongly to kick-start a new career in a much sought after occupation.
“No previous experience in welding is required and participants receive a training allowance of £155 per week. The programme has been very successful to date and I would urge anyone who is interested to apply.”
Successful participants will attend a six week intensive training course delivered by SWC, a dedicated training facility in Cookstown where they will study ETCAL Level 2 Performing Engineering Operations and Certified Abrasive Wheels Training.
Following completion of the training, participants will be guaranteed an interview to take up a welding position at one of the 18 supporting companies. As a result of the first four welding academies at SWC, 38 participants have already secured employment with the companies supporting those academies.
Ciaran McManus, Assistant Chief Executive of South West College, said:
“South West College is committed to working in partnership with the Department and local industry to design and deliver high quality training interventions which prepare participants to take up employment in the engineering and manufacturing sector.”
The Academy will be delivered from Monday 29th November to Friday 21st January 2022. However, these dates may be subject to cancelation or change due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
To apply visit the Assured Skills Academies page on the nidirect website. The online application form must be completed by 12.00noon on Friday 5 November 2021.
For further information please email your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are welcome from those who meet the criteria irrespective of religious belief, political opinion, age, sexual orientation, disability, race, marital status, gender, whether or not they have dependents and women returning to the workforce.
Notes to editors:
1. The supporting companies are:
- Toddsleap Racking & Shelving – Ballygawley
- Mallaghan - Dungannon
- OHM – Clogher
- Moyle - Dungannon
- Ezystak – Coalisland
- Muldoon - Dungannon
- McGrath – Coalisland
- Nugent Engineering - Dungannon
- Bruce Engineering Services – Cookstown
- Specdrum - Dungannon
- Turco – Cookstown
- Terex - Dungannon
- Burrows Engineering - Dungannon
- TTW – Dungannon
- Edge Innovate (NI) – Dungannon
- Four Dee NI - Magherafelt
- J & B Engineering – Dungannon
- Crossland Tankers - Swatragh
2. All applicants must be at least 18 years old by Monday 29 November 2021 and currently eligible to work in the UK.
3. This opportunity is not open to anyone currently employed within the manufacturing and engineering sector.
4. If in full-time employment – by accepting an offer of a place on this pre-employment training program, you are committing to pursuing a job opportunity with at least one of the employers supporting this Academy. This Academy is not available as an upskilling opportunity to anyone currently employed (including as an apprentice) and planning to return to that employment after the completion of this Academy.
5. Assured Skills is a pre-employment training programme run by the Department for the Economy. More information is available at the Assured Skills Academies page on the nidirect website.
6. Follow us on Twitter
7. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com.
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- County Antrim directors agree to disqualification 15 October 2021
- Labour market statistics 12 October 2021
- 11 October 2021
- Telephone service for High Street Scheme applications opens Monday 09 October 2021