The Department for the Economy has appointed Mr Robert McCann as Chair of the Governing Body of Northern Regional College. His appointment is effective from 1 October 2019 and is for a period of four years.
This is a regulated appointment and has been made in accordance with the Code of Practice of the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. Northern Regional College is one of the six Northern Ireland further education colleges. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. The post of Governing Body Chair is remunerated at £20,000 per annum. Travel and subsistence allowances are also payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates.
3. Mr McCann has been appointed from the reserve list of a public appointments competition which took place during 2018. He is a Chartered Certified Accountant with extensive experience in general management having operated successfully at Board level as a director or senior manager in a diverse range of industries including the energy, information technology, logistics, customer relationship management, agri-food and transport sectors. He has served as Chair of the Audit Committee for a number of organisations, and has also been a Member of the Consumer Council, as well as a Trustee of Victims Support. He is currently Chair of the Northern Health and Social Care Trust, a role for which he receives remuneration of £30,924, and a member of both the NI Valuation Tribunal and the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.
4. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr McCann has not carried out any political activity in the past five years.
5. All media enquiries should be directed to the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
6. Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Lyons announces 20 high quality training places on Assured Skills Academy with KPMG 24 January 2022
- Lyons announces Queen’s University and NVIDIA to invest £5.4million in R&D project 24 January 2022
- Lyons appoints governing body members to five further education colleges 24 January 2022
- Further Education Sector Activity Bulletin published 20 January 2022