Economy Minister Paul Frew has announced extensions to the terms of office of governing body (GB) members across five further education colleges.
Belfast Metropolitan College
The tenures of two GB members, Wendy Gillies and John McGrillen, have been further extended for five months from 1 August 2021 to 31 December 2021.
Northern Regional College
The tenures of two GB members, Isobel Allison and Gillian McConnell, have been further extended for five months from 1 August 2021 to 31 December 2021.
North West Regional College
The tenures of three GB members, Gavin Killeen, Martin O’Kane and Samuel McGregor, have been further extended for five months from 1 August 2021 to 31 December 2021. In addition, Dr Nigel Hand has accepted a further extension to his first term of appointment from 1 July 2021 to 31 December 2021.
Southern Regional College
The tenure of Andrew Saunders, Chair of the GB, has been further extended for one year from 1 August 2021 to 31 July 2022. The tenure of two members, Gordon Gough and Nicola Wilson, have been further extended for five months from 1 August 2021 to 31 December 2021.
South West College
The tenures of five GB members, Margaret Martin, Monica McGeary, Gerard O’Hanlon, Michael Skuce and Peter Archdale, have been further extended for five months from 1 August 2021 to 31 December 2021.
The extensions were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. Further education colleges are non-departmental public bodies of the Department for the Economy established under the Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In delivering college services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. Remuneration for GB members:
- The post of Chair is remunerated at a rate of £20,000 per year plus travel and subsistence allowances;
- The post of GB member is remunerated at £250 for a governing body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair plus travel and subsistence allowances.
- Travel and subsistence allowances are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. The individuals whose terms are being extended have all declared no political activity.
4. Pen pictures are available on the Department for the Economy website.
5. Follow us on Twitter
6. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com.
7. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Increase in shoppers as Spend Local cards continue to boost high streets 03 December 2021
- Electricity Consumption and Renewable Generation in Northern Ireland: Year Ending September 2021 02 December 2021
- Essential Skills statistical bulletin published 02 December 2021
- Spend Local cards boost High Street by over £100m 30 November 2021