The Department for the Economy has announced extensions to the second terms of appointment of one Chair and 12 governing body members across the six Further Education college governing bodies. These extensions are for a period of nine months from 1 August 2019 to 30 April 2020 as follows:
Belfast Metropolitan College – Mrs Wendy Gillies, Mr John McGrillen
Northern Regional College – Dr David Lennox
North West Regional College – Mr Gavin Killeen, Mr Samuel McGregor
South Eastern Regional College – Mr Neil Bodger, Mrs Heather Reid
Southern Regional College – Mr Andrew Saunders (Chair), Mr Gordon Gough
South West College – Mrs Margaret Martin, Mrs Monica McGeary, Mr Gerard O’Hanlon, Mr Michael Skuce
The first term of Mr Hugh Crossey, governing body member of Northern Regional College, is also being extended for a period of five months from 1 August to 31 December 2019.
The extensions have been made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available on the CPANI website.
Notes to editors:
- The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
- The post of Governing Body Chair is remunerated at £20,000 per annum. The post of Governing Body member is remunerated at £250 for a Governing Body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair. Travel and subsistence allowances are also payable for both Governing Body Chairs and members at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Any political activity is mentioned in the pen pictures.
- Pen pictures are available on the DfE website.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI.
- Launch of Northern Ireland Apprenticeship Week (NIAW) 2020 20 November 2019
- South West College launches new Assured Skills Welding Academy 18 November 2019
- Co. Londonderry Directors agree to Disqualification 15 November 2019
- Co. Antrim Director agrees to Disqualification 14 November 2019