Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has welcomed an increase in spending on Research and Development by Northern Ireland businesses.
The Minister was commenting as the 2015 Research and Development Survey was published.
Simon Hamilton said: “I am very encouraged by these latest figures. Investment in research and development is critical to future economic growth. With expenditure up by 24% on 2014 and the number of companies, particularly indigenous companies, spending on R&D increasing from 659 to 714 this is definitely a move in the right direction and something I want to further encourage.
The Minister continued: “We are only at the start of our journey having come through the downturn and made significant strides forward in re-balancing our economy. Innovation in all its forms is central to this journey and with some 90% of the latest increase in R&D expenditure coming from business in the private sector, I think we can feel confident that we are heading in the right direction.”
Notes to editors:
- The 2015 Research and Development Survey is available at Research and Development page.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Competition to appoint new Board Members for the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland 24 November 2020
- Fermanagh business set to create 88 new jobs in over £5m investment 23 November 2020
- Dodds announces 20 high quality training places with FinTrU in the north west 23 November 2020
- Dodds welcomes £213 million support package for businesses 23 November 2020