Economy Minister Diane Dodds has announced an extension to the term of the chair of the governing body of Stranmillis University College.
The tenure of Professor Sir Desmond Rea has been extended from 12 May 2021 until 31 December 2021.
This extension was made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available on The Commissioner for Public Appointments
Northern Ireland website.
Notes to editors:
- Stranmillis University College was founded in 1922 by the then recently established Ministry of Education for Northern Ireland to provide state-funded teacher training alongside that already available at the existing St Mary’s College. Both institutions have become academically recognised as university colleges of Queen’s University Belfast. Stranmillis offers teacher training for the primary and secondary school sectors as well as professional development courses, a BA in Early Childhood Studies and a BSc in Health, Physical Activity and Sport.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Professor Sir Desmond Rea has not carried out any political activity in the past five years.
- Professor’s Rea’s experience as a non-executive director (NED) covers the private, public and voluntary sectors. Of direct reference to his extension as chair of Stranmillis University College in the public sector, he is a former chair of four education bodies. In the voluntary sector he is currently a NED in Harmoni (formerly the NI Institute for the Disabled). His other experiences include editor, First Trust Bank's Quarterly Economic Outlook and Business Review for some 25 years. He is also a Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) accredited mediator. He has been Stranmillis University College chair since May 2013. He does not hold any other public appointments.
- Follow us on Twitter
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com.
- Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.