Economy Minister Diane Dodds has announced a new Assured Skills Academy for welding at South West College.
The Assured Skills Academy will see 24 successful applicants receive industry-standard welding training during a six-week course. Participants who complete the Academy are guaranteed an interview for a welding positon at one of seven companies in the Dungannon area.
Highlighting the opportunity, the Minister said:
“I am very pleased to announce this Assured Skills Academy in welding is open for applications.
“People with welding skills are in high demand in our local engineering and manufacturing sector. This Assured Skills Academy will equip participants with these skills, through an industry-recognised qualification, and position them very strongly to kick-start a new career in welding. I urge anyone who is interested to apply.”
Participants on the Academy will study for a Level 2 City and Guilds Award in Welding Skills. No experience in welding is required to apply.
Ciaran McManus Head of Industry and Training at South West College said:
“Engineering is a major sector of employment in the south west region. The college is committed to working in partnership with local employers to help them attract, develop and nurture new talent. This new pre-employment Assured Skills Academy is an example of this commitment and is a great opportunity for people in the area to gain new skills and a potential offer of employment.”
Training will be delivered in two separate cohorts of 12, full-time Monday to Friday (8 hours per day). This is planned to be 9.00am-5.00pm, however, due to the current Covid-19 situation, there is a possibility that the training may be between 1.00pm-9.00pm. The training timetable arrangements will be confirmed at the selection event planned for 21 January 2021.
More information on the South West College Assured Skills Welding Academy, and details of how to apply, is available on nidirect
Applications close at noon on Friday 15 January 2021.
Notes to editors:
- The participating companies are:-
- Edge Innovate (NI) Ltd, Dungannon
- Nugent Engineering, Dungannon
- Specdrum Ltd, Dungannon
- Terex, Dungannon
- Northern Hydraulics Ltd, Coalisland
- Strickland Ireland, Coalisland
- Steelweld Fabrications Ltd, Cookstown
- Assured Skills is a pre-employment training programme run by the Department for the Economy. More information is available at on the DfE website.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI.
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Public appointment opportunity within further education sector 14 January 2021
- Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index Quarter 3 2020 14 January 2021
- Dodds announces £20m support scheme for company directors 14 January 2021
- Check where and when broadband improvement scheme will be rolled out 12 January 2021