The Department for the Economy today launched a public appointments competition to recruit three new board members to the Board of the General Consumer Council for Northern Ireland.
The Consumer Council is a public body, independent from government, working to bring about change to benefit Northern Ireland consumers. Its aim is to make the consumer voice heard and make it count. It has specific functions in relation to energy, water, transport, postal services and food.
The Department wishes to appeal to people of all ages from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences to help maximise the relevance of the Consumer Council to all of our citizens and bring some fresh perspectives on consumer issues from their own practical experience. Those with a community or voluntary sector background and/or those from the rural communities are especially encouraged to apply.
This is an open competition which involves an application form and interview. The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on Wednesday 10 January 2018. These appointments will be made by an incoming Minister for the Department. The competition is being launched now to ensure that potential candidates can be identified in time for appointments to be made early in 2018.
The time commitment is one day per month. Remuneration of £106.50 per day and £53.26 for a half day is payable. All reasonable travel and subsistence costs, and any dependant-carer expenses incurred whilst undertaking Board duties will also be reimbursed where applicable.
No academic qualifications are required for the posts. Appointments will be made on merit from those applicants who best satisfy the following criteria - thinking strategically, working in partnership, communication skills plus a choice of one from the following – financial understanding, good governance or practical experience of consumer issues and representation.
The Department is currently operating the Guaranteed Interview Scheme in this competition for applicants with a disability.
Note: this competition closed for applications on 10 January 2018.
For further information you can contact DfE, Public Appointments Unit, Netherleigh, Massey Avenue, Belfast BT4 2JP, Tel: (028) 9052 9282 or (028) 9052 9531, text relay: 18001 028 9052 9282 or 18001 028 9052 9531 or by email: email@example.com
Notes to editors:
1. DfE is running the competition in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland (CPANI) Code of Practice.
2. The Consumer Council for Northern Ireland, established in 1985, under the terms of the General Consumer Council (Northern Ireland) Order 1984, is funded by the Department for the Economy.
3. Under the provisions of the Order, the Board of the Council shall consist of a Chairperson, a Deputy Chairperson and no more than 16 members. Current membership stands at 10 (Chairperson and nine members). For further information, visit the Consumer Council website.
4. For media enquiries please contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
5. Follow us on Twitter: @Economy_NI