Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has outlined measures that are planned to stem RHI losses.
He said: “My Department is currently developing a proposal for changes to the Renewable Heat Incentive which, if accepted, would lead to a significant reduction in future costs to the NI Executive.
"This requires further detailed discussion, including legal advice and further engagement with the European Commission, given that the scheme received approval within the State Aid regime.
"I plan to bring a proposal to the Assembly, and issue a consultation document, as early as I can in the New Year.
"Additionally we are also pursuing stronger enforcement of the existing regulations through OFGEM, so that abuses of the scheme are addressed as effectively as possible, and that any possible fraud cases are dealt with rigorously."
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Minister delivers keynote speech to Shoosmiths Business Web Seminar 06 August 2020
- Minister announces Neueda to expand in Belfast with 230 new jobs 06 August 2020
- County Tyrone motor trader fined and ordered to pay compensation for falsifying car documents 05 August 2020
- Economy Minister Diane Dodds highlights the strengths and potential of Northern Ireland’s Life and Health Sciences sector 04 August 2020