Economy Minister Simon Hamilton MLA has announced a £3.5million investment in Research and Development by engineering manufacturer CCP Gransden Ltd.
The Ballygowan based company is undertaking a major three-year project to develop new and innovative processes that will enable it to design and manufacture advanced lightweight composite components for global sectors including the aerospace and automotive industries.
Welcoming the investment during a visit to the company’s facility, Minister Hamilton said: “CCP Gransden is a great example of a local company recognising the importance of investing in Research and Development and skills.
“This £3.5milllion investment by CCP Gransden is part of the company’s continued focus on providing innovative high quality components to compete in the global economy. It will enable the company to develop and manufacture a diverse range of composite components utilising its new world class manufacturing facilities with the potential to secure new business across a range of diverse and high value sectors.
“Research and Development is critical to future economic growth. CCP Gransden join a growing number of indigenous firm investing in R & D – and I’m pleased that my Department through Invest NI has supported the company with a grant of over £970k as well as providing skills support to the company.”
The company has invested in a state of the art multi-functional manufacturing cell which can produce complex advanced composite components. CCP’s manufacturing cell brings together several processes and its technology allows for not only high volume manufacturing as well as bespoke one–off parts. The company plans to invest further in Research and Development and work with both existing and potential global clients to maximise the cell’s capability.
Jim Erskine, Managing Director, CCP Gransden said: “Thanks to the crucial support from Invest NI, we can now invest in developing a world-class advanced composite manufacturing process. This will enable us to deliver high-quality, high-value complex components that will not only meet customer needs, but enable us to win new business in growing markets.
“We’ve already begun up-skilling our current staff, and will be hiring additional staff with technical skills and business knowledge from a variety of sectors. The combination of the investment in the cell, a skilled workforce and the ongoing support of our government puts CCP Gransden in an excellent position to grow and develop its business and the reputation of the advanced engineering sector here in Northern Ireland.”
Notes to editors:
- Invest Northern Ireland has offered support of £977,112 towards the three year R&D project. This support is part funded by ERDF under the EU Investment for Growth and Jobs Programme 2014-2020.
- The company also received upskilling support under the Department for the Economy’s InnovateUs Programme.
- CCP Gransden Ltd specialises in the design, development & manufacture of advanced composites and thermoplastics across multiple sectors. The company has evolved from the ship building and repair industry into the manufacture and development of composites and thermoplastics across diverse sectors. Further information on the company is available at CCP Gransden.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI
- Photos are available to accompany this news release.