The Department for the Economy has announced extensions to the terms of office of a number of Chairs and board members of public bodies sponsored by the Department.
General Consumer Council for Northern Ireland
The tenure of Chair Sheila McClelland and board members Noyona Chundur, Lynne Crowther, Dr Sinead Furey, David Galloway and Dr Joan Martin have been further extended and the tenure of the Deputy Chair Mick McAteer has been extended. All of the extensions are for nine months from 1 July 2019 to 31 March 2020.
Health & Safety Executive Northern Ireland
The tenure of board members Harry Sinclair and Tom Wright have been further extended for nine months from 1 July to 31 March 2020.
Labour Relations Agency
The tenure of Chair Marie Mallon and board members Louise Crilly, Deirdre Fitzpatrick, Michelle McGinley, Gary McMichael, Alison Millar, Albert Mills, Jill Minne and Daire Murphy, have been further extended. All of the extensions are for nine months from 1 July 2019 to 31 March 2020.
The tenure of board members Angelina Fusco, Terry McCartney, Colin Neill and Michele Shirlow have been further extended and the tenure of Michael McQuillan has been extended. All of the extensions are for nine months from 1 July 2019 to 31 March 2020.
The extensions were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available at the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland page
Notes to editors:
- The Consumer Council for Northern Ireland (CCNI) was established in 1985, under the terms of the General Consumer Council (Northern Ireland) Order 1984. The Council is primarily funded by grant-in-aid from the Department for the Economy. The Council’s aim is to make the consumer voice heard and make it count. It has a statutory remit to promote and safeguard the interests of consumers in Northern Ireland and has specific functions in relation to energy, water, transport, postal services and food. These include considering complaints and enquiries, carrying out research and educating and informing consumers. The Chair post is remunerated at £23,105.81 per year and Deputy Chair post at £143.59 per day for over 4 hours and £71.79 for under 4 hours. CCNI Board Members’ posts are remunerated at £107.57 per day for over 4 hours and £53.79 for under 4 hours attended (normally 1 day per month).
- HSENI is a non-departmental public body (NDPB) with Crown status, funded by grant-in-aid from DfE. It was established on 1 April 1999 by an Order in Council, amending the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978. Its mission is to ensure that risks to people’s health and safety arising from work activities are effectively controlled. Remuneration for Board Members is currently £3,930 per annum.
- The LRA is a non-departmental public body with responsibility for promoting the improvement of employment relations in Northern Ireland. The LRA provides impartial and independent services for promoting good employment practices and preventing and resolving disputes. Chair remuneration is currently £24,922 per annum with a time commitment of six days per month. Remuneration for a Board Member is currently £5,357 per annum with a time commitment of at least one day per month.
- Tourism Northern Ireland is a statutory non-departmental public body (NDPB) established under the Development of Tourist Traffic Act (NI) 1948. Its constitution and continuation were affirmed in the Tourism (NI) Order 1992. Tourism Northern Ireland is funded by the Department for the Economy under Article 7 of the Order, from monies voted by Parliament. Tourism Northern Ireland is the trading name of the Northern Ireland Tourist Board. Board Members are remunerated at £5,260 per annum.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments, Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Mr McAteer has held office of a local branch and canvassed for the Labour Party, the remaining extendees confirmed no political activity.
- Pen pictures are available on the Extensions to DfE Public Appointments page of the DfE website.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_ni
- For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office on 028 9052 9604 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- 2019 tourism statistics show NI has strong offering for visitors – Dodds 26 October 2020
- Dodds announces another 20 high quality training places on PwC Assured Skills Academy 26 October 2020
- Not too late to take action to secure and protect cross border data flows – Dodds 23 October 2020
- Minister welcomes signing of the UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement 23 October 2020