Offshore Renewable Electricity
In 2012, The Crown Estate, as managers of the UK seabed, has offered development rights for two tidal energy projects in the NI Offshore Renewable Energy Leasing Round. Tidal Ventures Ltd (Open Hydro and Brookfield Engineering) is taking forward the development of a 100MW tidal project at Torr Head and Fair Head Tidal (DP Marine Energy and BDME) a further 100MW tidal project at Fair Head.
The framework for this Leasing Round comprised work undertaken by DETI in relation to the development of the Offshore Renewable Energy Strategic Action Plan (ORESAP) which following NI Executive approval, was published in March 2012. The draft Plan was the subject of a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and a Habitats Regulations Appraisal (HRA) which were part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) under the European Sustainable Competitiveness Programme for Northern Ireland.
All documents related to the SEA work can be found on a dedicated website:
Links to further relevant documents:
- Offshore Renewable Energy Strategic Plan (ORESAP) 2012-2020
- ORESAP Progress Reports
- ORESAP - Post Adoption Statement - Final - July 2012
- Project Level Mitigation Strategy - Dec 2012
- MOU between the UK and ROI Governments on Offshore Renewables - Nov 2011
- Regional Locational Guidance (RLG) - Sep 2011
- Habitats Regulations Appraisal (HRA) - June 2011
- Consultation on Policy Proposals for an Offshore Renewable Energy Bill