What is Horizon 2020?
Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation Programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding over seven years (2014-2020). The programme brings together all EU Research and innovation funding into one single programme.
Is there help available for potential Horizon 2020 applicants?
There is free support for all potential applicants from the Northern Ireland Horizon 2020 Contact Point Network, watch a short video on available support.
Why is it right for Northern Ireland?
The Northern Ireland Executive continues to look to increase the level of Research, Development and Innovation (R&D&I) carried out in Northern Ireland, especially in our Small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) community.
Programmes such as Horizon 2020 have an important role to play in stimulating investment in these areas to generate the required economic growth and job creation that are their by-products.
Horizon 2020 provides opportunities which are beyond the mere accessing of funding and rather provide benefits such as access to EU partners that would otherwise not be possible, raising the profile of Northern Ireland research and innovation capabilities, providing access to potential new markets and customers and developing individual researcher’s skill set and project management experience.
NI Horizon 2020 Strategy
A NI Horizon 2020 Strategy was agreed by the Northern Ireland Executive Sub Committee on the Economy. The Strategy, which was launched in March 2015, sets out the key actions required to deliver the Executive's target of €145m.
To access details of upcoming events related to Horizon 2020 in NI, visit the InterTradeIreland Website
Where can I find out about available Horizon 2020 calls?
The latest work programmes for Horizon 2020 can be accessed at Find your area of interest
- Access the European Commission’s own website for Horizon 2020
- Access InterTradeIreland’s Horizon 2020 website
- Access InterTradeIreland's Horizon 2020 App
- Access the European Commission’s Participant’s Portal
- Access the Northern Ireland European Regional Forum (NIERF)
Northern Ireland Contact Point (NICP) Network
The NICP network is a resource available to all potential applicants from Northern Ireland who are interested in engaging with Horizon 2020. Northern Ireland-based NICP network members can provide support in the form of:
- organising relevant events/workshops
- assistance with identifying areas of relevance within the competitive EU calls
- help in identifying collaborative partners for applications
- engaging with National Contact Points and also
- practical advice and support with the process itself
- Northern Ireland Horizon 2020 Contact Point Interactive Guide
- short video on Support for applicants to Horizon 2020