Research excellence framework
Research assessment in the UK is achieved by means of the research excellence framework (REF) exercise. It is managed by the REF team based at Research England and overseen by a Steering Group comprised of representatives of the four higher education funding bodies, including the Department for the Economy. Further information is available on the REF website.
The purposes of the REF are to:
- provide accountability for public investment in research and produce evidence of the benefits of this investment
- provide benchmarking information and establish reputational yardsticks, for use within the HE sector and for public information
- inform the selective allocation of funding for research.
- Equality briefing for Research Excellence Framework panels
- Guidance to panels
- Draft guidance on codes of practice
- Consultation on the panel criteria and working methods
- Draft guidance on submissions
(Note: this page includes the RAND impact indicators report, environment indicators advice, the fellowships list, and the information requirements for outputs.)
information can be found on contingency measures developed in response to the increasing effects of COVID-19 on instituitions in preparing submissions to REF 2021: