NEW Claimant Count Annual Average Maps - Updated for 2014
Next Northern Ireland Labour Market Report: 19th October 2016
Latest Labour Market Report
At a glance
Labour Force Survey
- The unemployment rate for the period May - July 2016 was estimated at 5.6%
- The number of persons in employment in the period May – July 2016 was estimated at 837,000
- The NI economic inactivity rate for May - July 2016 for those aged 16-64 was estimated at 26.4%
- The seasonally adjusted claimant count decreased by 800 from last month's revised total. It now stands at 35,100 (3.9% of the workforce) in August 2016
Quarterly Employment Survey
- At June 2016, the seasonally adjusted employee jobs estimate in NI stood at 733, 490
Composite Economic Index
- The Northern Ireland Composite Economic Index (NICEI) results indicate that NI economic activity increased by 0.4% from Quarter 4 2015 to Quarter 1 2016. This is the same as the growth recorded for the UK over the quarter.
Index of Services
- Provisional results from the seasonally adjusted Index of Services for the second quarter (Apr-Jun) of 2016 show that output, in real terms, increased over the quarter by 1.7%, whilst the UK reported an increase of 0.5% over the same time period.
Index of Production
- Provisional results from the seasonally adjusted Index of Production (IOP) for the second quarter (Apr-Jun) of 2016 show that output levels for Northern Ireland increased by 0.6% over the quarter while output in the UK as a whole increased by 2.0%.
Index of Construction
- The total volume of construction output in Northern Ireland in the first quarter of 2016 increased by 3.4% compared to Q4 2015 and was 2.3% higher compared to the same quarter in 2015.
Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE)
- In April 2015 median gross weekly earnings for full-time employees were £485, up 5.4% from £460 in 2014.
- There were 271 confirmed redundancies in August 2016.
- There has been a 74% increase in the number of confirmed redundancies over the last year to 31st August 2016 – 3,396 compared to 1,947 in the previous year.