Skip to content
Notes to editors:
- North West Regional College is one of the six Northern Ireland further education colleges.
- The governing body of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In sustaining and developing its services, the governing body takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
- Appointments to the governing bodies of further education colleges are for a period of four years. The post of member of a college governing body is remunerated at £250 for a Governing Body meeting and £150 for a committee meeting or event sanctioned by the Chair. Travelling and subsistence allowances are also payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates.
- Dr Hand was appointed from the reserve list of a public appointments competition which took place in 2016. He is a Chartered Engineer and a Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers. Since 1993 he has been employed in local manufacturing industry, initially with Du Pont (UK) and, following a change in company ownership, with Invista, fulfilling a variety of roles including as Project Engineer, Environmental Engineer, Technical Support Engineer and Technical Team Lead.
- In 2005 he was promoted to his current role as Operations Manager and his responsibility has expanded to all production processes including Power and Utilities, at the Maydown Works Site, leading an Operations Team of over 200 employees. In this role he is a member of both the Site Leadership team, accountable for the annual development of vision, strategies and delivery of key objectives, and of the Invista global Best Manufacturing Operations team, participating in global performance benchmarking. Dr Hand has been a certified Six Sigma Black Belt since 2002, and has expertise in process safety management, operational excellence, problem solving and leadership.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Dr Hand does not currently hold any other public appointments and has not carried out any political activity in the last five years.
- For media enquiries contact DFE Press Office on 028 9052 9604. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @Economy_NI